One of my fondest memories of childhood: Scholastic delivery day at my elementary school.
Remember Scholastic’s Dynamite Magazine from the 1970s? Dynamite (1974-1992) was a veritable “Pop Culture” barometerâ€¦ published during the Golden Age of Pop Culture itself. Very Postmodern, in retrospect.
Among the innumerably cool things about Dynamite was a back-page puzzle entitled, if memory serves correctly, “What In The World?” This page featured macro-focus photographs of common objects that kids encountered in everyday life.
An extreme close-up of an orange peelâ€¦
An extreme detail of a crack in concrete sidewalkâ€¦
Anyway, the object of the game was to identify the larger object being photographed. It was a challenge I relished and looked forward to. I think it’s high time we revisited this brilliant, mind-twisting challenge.
So, without further ado, I present:
This is a contest. The first person to Email me with the proper identification of the following four Mego-related objects will win a prize.*
Here’s the first contest:
Email your answers to me, directly, at: email@example.com
The first person to correctly identify all four Mego-related objects correctly will win a prize. Good luck!
* Prize to be determined by Benjamin Holcomb, contest coordinator. No exceptions will be made. Extra credit if you can provide specific information about one or more of the objects depicted. For example, furnish answers to relevant questions such as, “is it an early- or late-edition Mego attribute?” or “What is the material or texture shown?” or “What year did this attribute debut?” You get the idea. Have fun!
Update: August 14, 2007 8:40pm
The contest has officially ended. To recap:
Only one person correctly identified all four Mego objects. The winner is:
Paul H. (AKA Grendel)
Paul submitted his answers at 10:59am today:
1) Human torch outfit
2) Aquaman paper belt
3) Back of the Batman 8″ box
4) Captain America fabric star
Paul gets extra credit for:
1) Recognizing the paper emblem on Aquaman’s belt
2) Recognizing the fabric material of Captain America’s emblem.
Congratulations, Paul! Email me your shipping address, and I’ll send your prize right away. Thanks to everyone who played!