25th March 2008

Daily Mego Adoration: Poster Fun with 1st Issue Cards!

Daily Mego Adoration Here’s our Daily Mego Adoration for Wednesday, March 26, 2008:

Poster Fun: 1st Issue Cards!

Here’s a new addition to my Poster Fun series, wherein I create large, composite photos of appropriate groupings of Mego figures and packages. These are the types of images I couldn’t fit into Mego 8″ Super-Heroes: World’s Greatest Toys!, but they’re an awful lot of fun to look at!

Mego issued numerous “1st Issue” card variations, yet manufactured just 17 characters using this exquisite packaging style. Here’s a composite of all 17 characters produced on 1st Issue cards, in chronological order of release. Enjoy!

Daily Mego Adoration

Want to learn more? Buy Mego 8″ Super-Heroes: World’s Greatest Toys! Just $32.97

Benjamin

Blog Credits and legal stuff: Images published by Benjamin Holcomb and TwoMorrows Publications. All rights reserved. Images may not be reprinted or published without prior written consent from the publishers.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 at 8:23 pm and is filed under 1st Issue Blister Cards, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman, Book Production, Captain America, Catwoman, Daily Mego Adoration, Green Arrow, Joker, Mego World's Greatest Super-Heroes, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Penguin, Posters!, Riddler, Robin, S.S. Kresge, Shazam!, Spider-Man, Supergirl, Superman, Tarzan, Wonder Woman, World's Greatest Toys. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 8 responses to “Daily Mego Adoration: Poster Fun with 1st Issue Cards!”

Why not let us know what you think by adding your own comment! Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses, so come on... let us know what you think.

1. 1 On March 25th, 2008, namtab29 said:

mmm…minty fresh…*cue Homer Simpson drooling sound*

2. 2 On March 25th, 2008, benjamin said:

Yeah….. DROOOOOL.

I am just FIVE characters shy of a ‘complete set’ of every character that Mego produced on “1st Issue” cards. I still need Spider-Man, Supergirl, Batgirl and the two “toughies” in the group: the absurdly rare Shazam and Green Arrow. I think I will eventually get three of those (it may take years), but those last two?! Madness!

Benjamin

3. 3 On March 25th, 2008, benjamin said:

By the way, did anyone catch the two major anomalies in this poster? HINT: Look carefully at the four Super-Foes cards. One of them is the result of not having a particular varition to show, but the second one is NEW TO ME. Quite frankly, this is something I DID NOT even notice while producing the book; it’s only something I noticed while creating this “Poster Fun” blog.

Pretty cool, though. Anyone know? Bueller?

Benjamin

4. 4 On March 26th, 2008, dcsting said:

I have never seen a Kresge Shazam!! This is as close as I will probably ever get, so thank you Ben!! Thank You!!! Awesome photo by the way. Regarding the Super foes, I am stumped. The Mxy broken arm?

5. 5 On March 26th, 2008, dumbldor said:

Thank you, Benjamin, for posting this beautiful collage. Makes me really BADLY want to expand my 1st issue card collection!!!

I just noticed that the TM in Riddler’s masthead is located differently than in the mastheads of the other foes. Not sure if this is one of the things you noticed when creating this blog.

Please keep the brilliant content coming, and let me know if I can contribute further in any way.

6. 6 On March 26th, 2008, jayihdz said:

7. 7 On March 26th, 2008, benjamin said:

It’s SO nice to hear you guys are checking out — and digging — the pics. Thanks for all the cool comments.

Don and Dan, I grossly overstated the significance of what I noticed (”major anomalies?” Good grief!), but I do find it interesting:

First of all, I set out to use a Kresge-branded card for every character except Shazam and Green Arrow, the only two (of 17) characters never offered on a Kresge-branded card.

However, when I got to Riddler, I realized I don’t have a good shot of the Kresge-branded version, only the Mego-branded version (anomaly #1). So he’s a “one of these toys is not like the others” kinda guy.

Secondly, inserting a Mego-brand amidst the Kresge-brands made me notice how the words “Super-Heroes” on Kresge Foes are LEFT-JUSTIFIED, while the same words on Mego Foes are CENTERED (anomaly #2).

It appears Mego originally centered the masthead (see the 1st Wave above), but with the release of the “FOB Hong Kong” card (see Cap, Tarzan and Spidey above) Mego changed the justification to make room for the pre-printed Kresge price sticker. It also seems Mego continued this typography with the Kresge Foes, but not with the Mego-branded Foes.

Like I said, I WAAAAY overstated the significance of my observation. I just got a little excited, that’s all. Sorry about that. Ahem. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

-b

8. 8 On March 26th, 2008, benjamin said:

On March 26th, 2008, jayihdz said: “Look at those prices…man..all I want is Supes for my collection, Am I asking for much?”

No, Jay. You’re not. A couple grand is all (for that Large ‘S’ Superman). The original prices are amazing to consider, though.

Total approx. price for all 17 cards, if purchased between 1973-1976: $41.82